-
February 4th, 2004, 05:24 PM
#1
Inactive Member
-
February 4th, 2004, 05:29 PM
#2
HB Forum Owner
Doll from the '80s? Remember big hair, tons of hairspray and makeup, especially blue eyeshadow? Think of Lorie from That 70's Show. Or The Wedding Singer. Flock of Seagulls, anyone?
I don't think I would be interested.
-
February 4th, 2004, 05:49 PM
#3
Inactive Member
The doll is going to be 9-10 years old. She is not going to be as heavily into fashion as people in their teen years and up were in the 80's. Parents weren't big on makeup on their little girls even then, so I doubt she'd wear any. I don't think we'll see off-the-shoulder style or mini-skirts, either. They're not all that appropriate for a little girl. I'm not sure though, I was only 3 in '84. So my memory of the 80's is the late 80's. Since almost all of us have lived through the 80's, I guess our desire for the doll depends on how much we enjoyed that time. I was a little kid, and the first 11 years of my life were my happiest, so I like going back to the 80's! But I think they should wait another 5 to 10 years for an 80's doll because more girls in the target age range will have mothers who grew up then, and mothers seem to enjoy their daughters having dolls of their own childhood. I know my mom loved Molly because she reminded her of her childhood in the 50's.
-
February 4th, 2004, 06:08 PM
#4
ponydreamer
Guest
ICK! Please! No 80's doll!
I would love a 60's or 70's doll. that would be fun. But...I still think there are other more interesting periods in history.
-
February 4th, 2004, 07:51 PM
#5
Inactive Member
I don't think that a 1980s doll would be different enough from contemporary to be interesting. To a little girl the 1980s seem far away but the parents and grandparents have the charge cards and I don't think that they would ge that impressed. I would like to see a doll from 1804 ( Regency type fashions) to take advantage of on the 200 th anniversary. Or something between Addy and Samantha . The US Patent office site lists two names. Rebekah filed for in 12/03 by Pleasant Company and Rebecca filed for 1n 1/04 by American Girl. Did they change the name to make it more American or are there two dolls. Could be fun to have a contemporary girl who has one of the Historical AGs for an ancestor.
-
February 4th, 2004, 08:18 PM
#6
Inactive Member
I like the idea of having "Rebekah" from 1804 and then "Rebecca" from 2004 but from reading over the descriptions it looks like both are historical girls. I'm not saying that means two historical girls with the same name, but the description for what "Rebecca" is does not match what is shown for Kailey and Lindsey as being a modern doll. Probably they are just trademarking other variations of the name like how they also have Kaylee trademarked so another company can't make a similar doll with basically the same name spelled different.
-
February 4th, 2004, 09:16 PM
#7
Inactive Member
I would much rather see a historical doll from an earlier era (1924 & 1814 really would be interesting, IMO), but ANY historical doll is just fine with me at this point. I don't know if the '80s are really far enough away to do... you know, many people say that it takes a couple decades to really get a good perspective on a period like that. I do think an 80s doll could be interesting though- perhaps an immigrant doll from communist Europe (the 'Iron Curtain'/Berlin wall would still be up) or one from South America could be really intriging. The 1980s were truly in the middle of such cultural shifts in America... I think AG could make a lot of such a doll eventually, but probably not this soon.
-
February 4th, 2004, 09:17 PM
#8
Inactive Member
I agree totally with Sarah S. I love the 80's! i was 6 in 1984 so like Sarah, I remember mostly the late 80's. I would rather make my own 80's doll from the time that I remember though. I already have plans for one sometime in the far off distant future!
-
February 4th, 2004, 10:48 PM
#9
Inactive Member
I would love to be able to buy "american girl of my day" clothes for an 80s doll. Still, I don't think'll happen for a long time. Who would it appeal to besides 20 somethings?
-
February 4th, 2004, 10:52 PM
#10
Inactive Member
Personally, I wouldn't be all that interested in an '80s doll. I'm not very interested in any doll from the part of "history" I can remember. There's just not a whole lot of learning value in that for me, and I really enjoy learning about other time periods through my collecting.
Also, the initial wave of AG Today doll stuff was designed from suggestions in the late '80s, so there is not a whole lot of difference between the early AGT accessories and clothes and an '80s doll IMO. I know they designed the first AGT based on suggestions from girls who got the "Pastimes" newsletter. I forget which year it was, but I remember my friends and I getting such a letter in the late '80s and writing in what we wanted in terms of furniture, food, accessories, clothes, etc. So it seems like it'd be a bit redundant with the retired AGT items.
I'd much rather see something farther back in history, especially something in the late 1800s or Regency period. I'd be way more excited about Regency clothes than '80s clothes, too.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks